TokolosheSue Suchyta Dearborn Times Herald December 2002
The Henry Ford Community College Theatre for Young Audiences Program will present “Tokoloshe” (pronounced tawk-uh-losh), a modern Zulu folktale, for one more weekend at Henry Ford Community College.
The Zulu folktale follows 15 year-old girl, Thandi, who lives with her bitter grandmother and loyal dog. Thandi is anxious to find her missing father before is married to disreputable gambler in an arranged marriage. While fishing one day, she captures a Tokoloshe, a mischievous river sprite, who promises to help her with her quest in exchange for his freedom.
Cast and Crew
- The Chorus: Carnice Reevers, Simone Summers, Jason Thomas
- Thandi, a girl, about 15: Suzanne Huls
- Voestek, her loyal dog: Natasha Rose
- Butterfly: Jamie Olsen
- Tokoloshe, a clever river trickster: Victor Walker
- Gogo, Thandi’s grandmother: Simone Summers
- Leguan, King of the Tokoloshes: Carnice Reevers
- Lucky Makhatini, a gambler: Jason Thomas